Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Wooden garage doors - treatment?

John wrote:
Just bought a set of garage doors from ebay
http://preview.tinyurl.com/5wn987 (not exactly those - ours have no windows)
and I've got to say, they're very good. I couldn't even buy the wood round
here to make them myself for �49 and to be honest, I'd probably cock it up
anyway. I like to work (read mess about) with wood but I'm just not very
good at it (

Anyway, we fancy just staining and varnishing them rather than painting, but
would that provide adequate protection? I know that if we were going to
paint them, we'd start off with knotting, primer, undercoat and finally
exterior gloss, but what's the procedure when you just want to keep the look
of the wood?

TIA

John

Recently someone posted about Sikkens being good stuff. So I have used
it on our shed door. Only a few weeks of experience (not exactly a
durability study), but it was nice to use and *seems* to have produced a
lovely smooth, tough coat. (Despite the door having become a bit sad
over the last couple of years.)

Their varnish-like products do have a pigment in them - so you have to
choose a colour. But you do still see the full grain. The claim seems to
be that the pigment (iron oxides, IIRC) actually provides a huge part of
the protection.

http://www.sikkens.co.uk/en/Sikkens+Home+Page.htm

Not cheap but very good coverage. Bought from Jewsons - I smiled nicely
at the young saleslady and the price became competitive.

--
Rod

onset.