Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Wooden garage doors - treatment?

Just bought a set of garage doors from ebay
http://preview.tinyurl.com/5wn987 (not exactly those - ours have no windows)
and I've got to say, they're very good. I couldn't even buy the wood round
here to make them myself for £49 and to be honest, I'd probably cock it up
anyway. I like to work (read mess about) with wood but I'm just not very
good at it (

Anyway, we fancy just staining and varnishing them rather than painting, but
would that provide adequate protection? I know that if we were going to
paint them, we'd start off with knotting, primer, undercoat and finally
exterior gloss, but what's the procedure when you just want to keep the look
of the wood?

TIA

John