Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Brushcutter with hedge trimmer attachment

Tim S wrote:

Sounds like you've done well. I didn't know about the articulated trimmer at
the time, so went for a fixed one. Mine can only manage 1/2" branches (25cc

I have noticed that with big branches you need to be moving the bar
reasonably quickly to get the cut in one hit.

Larger branches can be cut - but it nibbles at them taking a few sect to
get through.

Ryobi full throttle). Don't know the make, but some generic Expand-It
compatible part that B&Q were selling.

Must admit, when I bought mine aI had assumed it was going to be the
Ryobi part - its only later when I looked at the box I realised it
wasn't! (the chap in the fetched and loaded all the various bits for me!)

Having said that, mine does what I expected it to and has still proven a
useful buy - just not as good as yours by the sound of it.

I get the feeling that the problems are a limitation of the format and
would probably affect any trimmer on the end of a pole setup. So mixed
feelings really - it does what is required, but you don't get any great
sense of satisfaction from it in use.

I agree on the balance issue, but at least being able to work a pole's
length away from hawthorn and holly is a bonus

Yup - I did notice that with a few embedded brambles! ;-)

The odd thing is that the chainsaw on a pole add on works really well -
both ergonomically and practically. I presume it is because you have no
need to hold it in free space and move it along a plane, so the weight
is a non issue, and in fact is just right to effect the cut without
applying any extra force.

--
Cheers,

John.