Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default birds and walls

dennis@home wrote:

"Rod" wrote in message
George (dicegeorge) wrote:
I thought that pruning does stop the roots growing.

The tree tries to balance roots and branches
so if a lot of branches are pruned off
it will put all its effort into growing above ground.

Am i right or wrong?

(pruning also reduces the shade / shadows !)

But pruning branches doesn't shrink its existing root spread - even if
were not to grows any more roots at all.

But it does alter its water usage and may cause ground shift where the
roots are.

Absolutely. But I couldn't decide whether the overall effect would be to
increase or decrease water uptake - so I made no comment on that.
Whichever it does (or even if it does not change the actual amount one
jot), the root spread will not be reduced by pruning branches.

--
Rod

onset.