Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Addition or Detacted Garage?????????

"infiniteMPG" wrote in message
I don't have any pictures available (I'm at work) but I have been
toying with the designs in Inventor 3D (my main tool at work) and
compiled a PDF files so everyone can see the plan.

http://www.57web.com/vhome-ADDITION.pdf

If you call up this file you can see the existing home in th left two
views and the proposed addition plan in the right views. This is the
plan to extend the house and blend the roof line rather then close in
the garage and build a detatched garage.

The existing garage has no insulation in the ceiling and I am sure the
walls are not insulated either. So even if we enclosed the garage
there would still be a lot of work to do. Right now the house sits on
a 1 acre slightly pie shaped lot and facing the front of the house
there is about 52-feet from house to property line on the left, and
about 40-feet on the right. Extending the house 20-feet towards the
already narrow side only leaves 20-feet between the house and the
property line but there are houses in our area that are much closer to
their line.

There is a house on the right but it's been for sale for a while and
needs a lot of work so latest word is there are going to level it and
sell the empty lot. The existing house is set back from the front a
lot further then ours so this shouldn't impact the decision, but it is
something to think about.

Thanks for the suggestions and the info.

Not a bad design. When you add on to that side there will be a certain
amount of destruction to the existing garage. Consequently when it is all
put together the insulation can be installed. I wouldn't let the insulation
pitfalls of the existing garage be a deciding factor in what you ultimately
decide to do.