Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Douglass Tim Douglass is offline

Default Gun Cabinet

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:42:14 -0500, Tom B
wrote:

Tim:

22/250 is famous for eating barrels. You say it's old. PH makes good
barrels (or did), but. You've probably already done so, but take a
GOOD look at the lands. It's bore scope time - before time and money
are spent trying to fix the irreparable.

If it's only stringing vertically, try increasing the pressure on the
front end of the barrel. I've used something as simple as a piece of
card stock in the muzzle end of the barrel channel to see if
additional (or any) pressure out there helps. If it does, you can
build up a pressure point with epoxy, bed the barrel it, and away you
go.

I always do that first, because rebedding the action to the forcing
cone may not do squat if the barrel is whipping around forward of
there.

Thanks for the input on that, Tom. The rifle is oldish (1976) but has
probably not had more than a couple hundred shots through it. I put 50
or so through it a couple weeks ago trying to get it sorted out and
they pretty much doubled the wear showing on the feed ramp and
magazine follower.

My best results with it were two shots touching and a third about 4"
high. I think the first shot was always the high one. I tightened the
action screws and it changed to more of all three shots in a vertical
line. Unfortunately the wind came up at that point and all results
became pretty unreliable.

The barrel channel in the stock is odd. It is really set up for a
pressure-pad at the fore-end, but the channel doesn't match the barrel
contour well, so it is more like a V, with the barrel only touching at
the sides. My first thought was to free-float it, but it is a fairly
thin contour barrel, so maybe I'll do the pressure pad and see what
happens. This rifle is an indulgence because I have an identical one
in 30/06. I want the 22/250 to shoot well, but it is more about having
a matched set than a tack driver.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."