Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Chimney caps

wrote:
Where can I get a good chimney cap? I have a square tile that is 11.5
inches on the outside. I purchased one from a large building store
(which shall remain nameless) and honestly can't see how this thing
could withstand a moderate wind. It was only $33, and had a set screw
at each corner that didn't like to stay straight when tightened. I
would prefer to order one from somewhere.

I had one of those from HD and it blew off a couple of times and I had
to bend it back into shape and reinstall. Finally decided to block off
the fireplace and had chimney guy seal it and cap my other fireplace.
Furnace had also been capped and this cap and fireplace cap from other
chimney guy have remained intact. I decided that I'm now too old to
safely climb on roof. One chimney guy that inspected the fireplace I
closed off would have fallen off roof if I had not been holding ladder.
He did not get hired.