Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus3909 Ignoramus3909 is offline

Default R8 extension? Do they exist?

By the way, the OP could probably get by if he used a "toolholder" as
opposed to a collet, and a long end mill. That could give you extra 8"
or so, but will be expensive.

On 2008-06-11, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:45•£Äpm, "BillM" wrote:
I can do it with a 7" or so long bar. •£Ächunk of
1 1/4 CR, turn one end to 7/8" to fit my
largest R8, slot the other for a single point
tool. •£ÄNo biggy. •£ÄWhat I would LIKE is to
have the ease of adjustment the boring head
provides. •£Ä ...
Bill

You could put a set screw behind the bit in the slot to adjust it
outward. Put some paper tape around the setscrew head and graduate at
least 1/6th of a circle with a protractor, using the Allen wrench
handle for a pointer. A 1/4-20 setscrew feeds 0.050 per turn. 5 degree
marks would indicate 0.0014" increase in diameter.

If the end of a 7" bar is hard to hold steady enough to slot, drill a
hole for the bit and use setscrews crosswise to guide it. Then you
wouldn't lose your lathe center hole if the taper needed adjustment.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/