Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Wrench with non-parallel jaws

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
The jaws on this wrench are not parallel:

http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/wrench.jpg

Specifically, the face of the movable jaw is perpendicular to the "ways",
but the fixed face is not. But they aren't sprung or worn that way. It
seems that it was made like that. But why? Just plain poor quality? But
that's *really* bad. It's an old wrench, not Chiwandian. It says drop
forged, if that helps.

Bob

I think it was just not a very precise wrench. I have seen this type of
thing in very old tools. I imagine that when it was made its fit was plenty
good enough to turn the big square nuts in use at the time and its strength
might have made it a "quality" tool in spite of its imprecision.

Don Young