The Natural Philosopher

Default Boiler / Aga / DHW Cylinder.

froggers wrote:

The oil boiler is an ageing 100,000 odd BTU thing for both hot water and heating,
and I am thinking of changing it. The Aga also heats the water in the summer.

First quote said "the DHW cylinder also needed changing" - I can't understand why.
Is it these new regs that say when you change the boiler, the cylinder also has to be
changed ? Or is he trying to take me for a ride ? Do I have to change the Aga as well ?
Should I get a new car as well ?

Maybe he wasnt you to use a pressurised system.

Its not a good idea BTW to simply disconnect the Aga hot water circuit.
I think you need to talk to aga about that - frankly if the gravity fed
pipework is in placve, and it works, I'd leave it generating hot water.
My aga costs an estmated £300 a year to run pluis servicing if left on
through the summer, and you might as well see some benfit.

The cylinder is only a few years old and showing no signs of failing, but when it does
it will be replaced with the current spec item conforming to the new regs - fair enough!

I get the feeling the job is being glossed up to extract more money by doing
unnecessary work.

I'd ask the plumber for a clear exaplantion of WHY a new cylinder is
needed. Then post it here. If it makes sense, well fine. If it doesn't,
then get another plumber.

I can think of reasons - maybe you have a gravity fed system and pumped
is indicated etc.

There are several heating experts here. Why not get the plumbers opinion
and compare with others thoughts?

Can anyone advise please ?

Thank you,

Nick