Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Caldwell Larry Caldwell is offline

Default closet opening too wide?

In article a34b19c0-9a71-4ed4-9fae-
, (Jay
Edgar) says...
I will be installing closet doors in a bedroom. I've decided to put in
two bi-fold doors. My challenge: the doors are 48" wide, by my opening
is 51-1/8" wide. I've already installed the trim... maybe a mistake.
Is there a way I can put a cheater board in or something?

Suggestions are most welcome.

1) Bi-folds don't have to be the same size. You can use one 24" and
one 26", leave 1/2" clear on each side, and you are there.

2) Add a piece of 1"x1-1/2" on the inside of each side of the trim.
Tie this in with the trim that conceals the track.

3) Fire up your router/shaper and make a piece of melding trim that
would add 1-1/2" to each door in the middle. Trim all the edges, and
you won't even be able to tell the doors are bi-fold when they are
closed. Everyone will go "OOOhhh" at the crafty way you concealed all
the cracks, and think you are a creative and crafty fellow.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.