Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Repairing steel condo door broken hinge closer???

Forget about the original closer. I have a similar door in my condo and it
tends to "slam" the door shut.

Just get a decent near commercial quality closer that mounts over the top of
the door. (Lowe's, Home Depot, GOOD hardware store)

Most come with brackets, etc. that give you several mounting options and
most can be put on left or right opening doors and "open in" or "open out"
but check to be sure.

One other feature to be aware of is whether the operator will "lock" in the
open position. If the door in question is a "fire door" the opener isn't
supposed to lock open. This doesn't matter in a house but in a high rise
condo ...

"idreos" wrote in message
I have a steel entrance door to my condo unit that was manufactured by
a company named Fenestra.
The automatic closer on the door no longer works.
I believe the mechanism is in the bottom hinge as it appears slightly
different from the the other two upper hinges.
My condo was built in 1989 and the Fenestra door company is no longer
in business.
Anyone out there who might have had a similar problem with such an
entrance door. Is the broken "closer" hinge repairable?
I have linked photos of the hinges

http://home.comcast.net/~idreos/upperhinge.jpg top & middle hinge

http://home.comcast.net/~idreos/lower hinge.jpg spring closer
mechanism?