Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus13673 Ignoramus13673 is offline

Default 20 HP Lathe

On 2008-06-11, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:43:26 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus13673 quickly quoth:

This lathe is advertised as 20 HP:

I do not doubt that the ad is true, but I have to wonder why any lathe
would need a 20 HP motor. I have hard times imagining how even a
fraction of that could be expended cutting metal with a single point
lathe bit.

Go look at pics taken in some of the machine shops during WWII, Ig.
They turned prop shafts for battleships, cruisers, and carriers with
'em. Here is one from more recent years:

www.co.cullman.al.us/.../lufkin_grandopening.htm

Can you post a proper URL Larry?
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/