Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Sound Cards

Dave Platt wrote:

In article ,
Jan Panteltje wrote:

Looks like the built-into-mobo sound on my wife's PC has taken a
dive... inadequate volume.

Any recommendations for cheapy add-in sound cards?

Thanks!

If you can still get these, the old Creative labs
Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI.
Ensoniq was bought by Creative, their cards were very good.
Was marketed as soundblaster xxx bit PCI IIRC.

Agreed. These cards are often eBay-able very cheaply, since are not
the "latest and greatest". Your local computer-surplus store may very
well have one or more sitting around on the shelves.

Cards with the original ES1370 chip seem (in my limited experience) to
have the best reputation. Cards with the newer ES1371 (and ES1373 I
think) cards may not have quite as good a codec onboard, but are still
very good.

Adequate for sure but seriously 'old-hat'.

Graham