Posted to alt.home.repair
infiniteMPG infiniteMPG is offline

Default Home Addition or Detacted Garage?????????

We are looking at expanding our living space in our home here in west
central Florida and we are faced with two main options.... adding on
to our home following the roof line and construction of the house, or
closing in the two car garage, making it living space and adding a
detacted garage. We're not sure of the advantages either way so we
thought we'd pop it out here for the experts to chime in :O)

The house is basically a simple gable roof line runnin parallel with
the road with an "L shape where the small leg of the "L" is the two
car garage facing forward on the right side of the house. We were
considering extending the gable towards the right, past the garage and
make the new rooms in this area. This would just continue the main
gable roof further and since the garage roof intersects the front of
the existing gable it shouldn't impact the garage area at all. This
also leaves the master bathroom connections where they are so there
should be no plumbing impact.

The second option is to block in the front garage door and turn the
garage into additional living space. Then build a detacted garage to
the right of the existing garage and since it's detacted, wouldn't
impact the central house. One consideration here is the existing
garage floor is dropped lower then the rest of the house (about 6")
and we're conserned if we just block in the front garage door that
there might be a moisture issue in the garage (we're thinking the
walls would have to be sealed good). Plus the garage walls are block
so there isn't really any insullation in there.

We're a little leaning towards the extension of the main house but we
figured we're not experts so thought there might be something we're
overlooking.

Thanks for your assistance!