Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Jones Moe Jones is offline

Default Carrier Air Conditioner - Big Repair Bill After Less Than 5 years

wrote:
We had a new Carrier air conditioner installed less than 5 years ago.
This year it stopped working. One of their service people looked at
it and said that the compressor needed replacing. The part was
covered under the parts warranty but they said the labor charge would
be US$1000 and the new compressor would only have a 1 year warranty
and they cost US$1200. I think the guy charged about US$300 to see
what the problem was. This seems a bit steep after 5 years. Are air
conditioners not supposed to last for about 15 years? It strikes me
as a rip-off to sell an air-conditioning unit that needs abut $2K in
maintenance every year after less than 5 years.

The compressor is under warranty so you will not have to pay for it unless
they charge you a shipping cost because the replacement compressor is not in
stock.
After the compressor has been replaced then they need to see why the
compressor went bad so the new compressor will not go down.
The prices may seem high but like me tell you that the whole sale prices
have almost doubled or even tripled in the last couple of years.
You think gas has goen up so much well a couple of months ago I check on the
whole sale price on a jug of R-22 and it was close to $200 when the same jug
a couple of years ago cost around $40.

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info