Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default 20 HP Lathe

Ignoramus13673 wrote:

I do not doubt that the ad is true, but I have to wonder why any lathe
would need a 20 HP motor. I have hard times imagining how even a
fraction of that could be expended cutting metal with a single point
lathe bit.

Our cast iron pulley cells (cnc) have 35 hp spindles and most parts are 12" dia or
smaller. Even the machines turning aluminum castings have 15 hp spindles and sometimes
our gang roughing groovers get the belts to slip. Plastic muli-vee belts suck.

That thing has a 25" swing. 20HP seems reasonable to light depending.

Wes