Posted to uk.d-i-y
F[_2_] F[_2_] is offline

Default Freesat dish - DIY possible ?

On 10/06/2008 15:15 David Hansen wrote:

AFAIAA only one of the seven boxes currently available has a
non-Freesat mode. The other six don't though there is talk of this
being provided "soon".

Correct.

As I understand it Humax took the risk of the non-Freesat mode,
despite it being against some interpretations of the specification.
It has been very popular and so the other manufacturer (the same HD
or SD box is sold under three names with three slightly different
exteriors).

Not being provided because it's popular but because, AIUI, it's illegal
not to.

Of course there is no need to have a Freesat and non-Freesat mode.

If you want just one mode then, as I pointed out previously, you could
lose the 7 day EPG and use non-freesat mode with just now and next.

It would be far more sensible to just have one mode, but that would
certainly be against the specification.

Correct, it would be against the spec. Freesat want a uniformity of
experience across the various boxes to avoid the variations you get with
Freeview.

You do have a freesat box?

Meanwhile, the footy on BBC HD with surround sound and, later, on ITV HD
(exclusive to freesat), calls.