Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carrier Air Conditioner - Big Repair Bill After Less Than 5 years

On Tue 10 Jun 2008 04:43:20a, told us...

On Jun 9, 10:04 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

We had a new Carrier air conditioner installed less than 5 years ago.
This year it stopped working. One of their service people looked at
it and said that the compressor needed replacing. The part was
covered under the parts warranty but they said the labor charge would
be US$1000 and the new compressor would only have a 1 year warranty
and they cost US$1200. I think the guy charged about US$300 to see
what the problem was. This seems a bit steep after 5 years. Are air
conditioners not supposed to last for about 15 years? It strikes me
as a rip-off to sell an air-conditioning unit that needs abut $2K in
maintenance every year after less than 5 years.

You have three issues. One is the labor charges. $300 to check it out
is high. I just asked our serviceman what his charges are on a Sunday
(he worked yesterday due to the heatwave) and he get $112 an hour.
His normal rate is about $65. I'd find a different installer or ask
Carrier to recommend one.

Number two. As for the unit failing, yes, they are designed to go much
longer, but stuff happens. AC units are no different than any other
mechanical and electrical device. Some beak much sooner than
anticipated. Ever see a 1 week old car on a tow truck?

OK now issue number 3. Where do you get the idea that you'll have to
spend $2000 a year, every year? You have no basis for that.

Sorry. I made a mistake about the $300 to check the unit. I misheard
my wife. It was actually $100. However, I made no mistake about the
$1000 they said they would charge to install the compressor or the
$1200 I would need to pay to replace the compressor which only comes
with a 1 year warranty. If it gives out after a year, that would be
$1200 for a new compressor plus $1000 labor to have it installed.

Thanks,
MM

It would be very unusual for an a/c compressor to last only one year. My
parents had a York unit for more than 40 years and the compressor never
failed, albeit, they did have to have refrigerant added on a few occasions.

Still, as I wrote upthread, I think you should get another opinion and
quote. The prices this guy quoted just don't seem to ring true. Also,
many compressors have a 5 year warranty.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)