Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Silver Surfer[_2_] Silver Surfer[_2_] is offline

Default Running capacitor

Mr. Goldwasser,

No, I did not test the capacitor. Just ASSumed it was bad.

Your worm analogy was excellent. That's exactly what this "creature" looks
like.

Mr. DaveM,

Capacitor is 25 + 7.5 microfarads at 370V.

My humble abode is in Moundsville, West Virginia, US of A.

New capacitor is on the way from Appliance Parts Pro's warehouse in
Kentucky.

My Master Card is taking a few days off to recover.

"DaveM" wrote in message
"Silver Surfer" wrote in message
. ..
Took the cover off my Crosley air conditioner to find out why the
compressor motor was tripping its thermal overload a few seconds after
kicking on.

The dual section running capacitor had a strange, twisty, grayish glob
coming out of its side. The stuff looked like one of those "snakes" that
the kids light on July 4th, but is was very hard and stuck tightly to the
capacitor body. Pried it off. Looked like a small hole where it came
out.

I assumed that the capacitor had bought the farm and ordered a new one.
Ouch! Best price on the Internet was about $70. Is what I described
typically what's found when one of these capacitors fails?

What's the value of the capacitor?
Where do you live (City/State/Country)?

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters

Experience: What you get when you don't get what you want