Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Fence posts and sewers

Martin Bonner wrote:

On Jun 10, 2:00 pm, "Roger Mills" wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Divining could tell you where the sewers are, and help you avoid them.
Your local water company responsible for drainage in your area should
be able to help. They might even locate them for you, probably free
of charge, in order to avoid any disruption to their pipes.

That's *not* how they think! When I built my new garage over sewers, I had
to have a CCTV survey done at *my* expense before being given provisional
permission by Severn Trent - then another one after the event, to prove that
no damage had been done, before they would ratify the permission.

Ah, but with a garage they have the option to deny permission so they
can pass the cost to you. With a fence they don't have that option
(although they may still say - "you break it, you pay to fix it").

Roger has made a good point. It depends very much on the water
company. Some are very helpful, others are extremely unhelpful.