Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Freesat dish - DIY possible ?

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:31:23 +0100 someone who may be F
news@nowhere wrote this:-

What a Freesat box does is add a
seven day electronic programme guide and patronisingly decide what
of the variations one may watch, as it demands a post code before it
will do anything.

I don't think this is patronising.

I do.

Although not yet implemented, it's
helpful and mirrors exactly what Freeview boxes do: it gives you your
'local' BBC and ITV stations. If you prefer to watch other regional
programmes by default then all you do is enter an appropriate postcode.

You first have to discover what an "appropriate" post code is and
put it into the box, changing it every time one wants to watch other
programmes. This is particularly a problem in border areas, where
one may want to watch a different variation to the one the
broadcasters patronisingly want one to watch.

If the boxes offered choice then that would be a different matter.
The "don't worry your pretty little head about it" approach would be
just one of the options, probably the first option, not something
forced on people by arrogant broadcasters. They need to get the
limitations of terrestrial broadcasting out of their heads,
especially as some of us who have lived in border areas coped with
having at least two choices of variation decades ago.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh