Tony Collins

Default cutting hole in ceramic tile

I've just done this. Rectangular hole in single tile, and through plaster
board underneath.

Drill hole in each corner of the rectangle (DO NOT USE HAMMER ACTION). Apply
moderate pressure useing a masonry drill bit (I was using SDS bits) until
the glaze is removed from the tile. It is then possible to increase the
pressure a little.

Use ceramic cutting blade in jigsaw.

The trick - hot melt glue corrugated cardboard to the base plate of your
jigsaw to protect the tile. It comes off easily afterward.

Cut from one corner to the next.

Total took about 20 minutes. (including preparation)

--
Tony Collins

"michael cane" wrote in message
i have been using a plasplugs electric tile cutter with great success for
cutting tiles around sockets etc, but I now have to cut a complete oblong
hole in a single tile to accomodate the next socket and i have no idea how
to do it. Any help much appreciated.