Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Freesat dish - DIY possible ?

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 23:43:32 +0100 someone who may be Alan
wrote this:-

The Freesat SD boxes appear to be limited (crippled) to only receiving
the Freesat channels.

Other than the Humax HD one, which has a "non-Freesat" mode to get
other channels. Whether there are many of these worth watching is
debatable.

Other boxes in the market can receive other free
to air channels but they will not show the Freesat EPG. (The Humax
Foxsat Freesat HD box (£150) can be tuned to other non-freesat
channels.)

The BBC/ITV no-doubt decided that using standard satellite equipment
was "too complicated" for the public. Instead they offer a "don't
worry your pretty little head about it" approach, which a
manufacturer must adhere to in order to have the Freesat branding.

For a DIYer standard equipment may be better, it allows access to
other satellites for example, but for someone who just wants to
watch UK channels there is merit in the Freesat approach. When they
get Internet based services going that will be interesting. I assume
current boxes will be upgraded to work with this.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh