Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default lathe centers alignment

"Lynn" wrote in message
Humble request for advise (or sympathy): Just unboxed my new Jet 1014
and while checking it over,
noted that the alignment of the tips of the headstock and
tailstock centers is not perfect. The tailstock center is perhaps
.010 or .012 inch lower than the headstock center. This
is when the tailstock is moved right up close to the spindle.

lynn - believe it or not, cast iron flexes - it is possible that the way the
lathe is bolted to the stand is flexing the ways - this is certainly an
issue with larger lathes (such as my 1200 pound metal lathe), so it could
certainly affect yours