Posted to rec.woodworking
The Davenport's The Davenport's is offline

Default "friction" and high pitched noise from zero clearance insert

I recently bought one of the Rockler phenolic resin zero clearance
inserts.
(http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ro%20clearance)

I cut the slot by raising my sawblade through the insert as per the
instructions (and in fact moved it all the wa up and down a couple of
times to
make sure it was cut cleanly)

However, now whenever I run the saw, there is a high pitched sound
coming from the blade "rubbing" against the sides of the insert
whenever the blade is at any height above the insert.

In addition to being annoying, I am concerned that this friction will
suck power from my saw.

-- So, is such noise (and associated rubbing) normal?
-- If not, what can I do about it?

(I was thinking about widening the slot on one side by adding a piece
of paper as a spacer to one of the washers but am not sure how to do
widen the other side. Also, not sure whether this would defeat the
purpose of a "zero clearance" insert)

Note my saw is pretty well adjusted with runout of just .001"
(actually, I imagine that the reason I am having this problem is that
the runout is so little since with a larger runout or wobble, the slit
would have been cut wider)

Thanks!

I suspect, as others have, that it's the cavitation of the teeth of the
blade cutting the "stationary" air at the edge of the blade opening...it'll
wear in so there is a little more clearance...that should take care of the
high pitched howl...if you really need to quiet it done, you can speed the
process by sanding the opening a little with a little sandpaper...JUST A
LITTLE!!!

As to losing power to the close fit on the insert, if you're THAT close to
the edge of your power, get a more powerful saw.

Mike