Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Can Toshiba tube TV be repaired now days?

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:26:20 -0500,
wrote:

My brother has a nice 27" tube TV (flat screen) that
has gone bad. The unit is only abt 6 years old.

They were watching it Sat night and the picture shrank
down to one thin horizontal line that stretches across
the screen. In other words. it has no vertical scanning
I think.

He said I could have this TV if I wanted it but I live
in a rural area and no where to take it to have it
fixed!

So.... questions:

1. What is the part that has failed in this set given
its symptoms?

2. Is it worth fixing it? If yes, where can I get the
part and could I install it myself?

Thanks!!

TVs are like Bic lighters. You can fix them but it is seldom worth
trying.

I'll second that....There could be any number of "parts" which have
failed, or perhaps just became disconnected because of a cracked solder
joint.

Yes, the cracked solder joint is about the only thing worth looking at
or fixing. A common issue with Sony stuff, where stress cracks form in
the solder around component pins due to thermal cycling. Easy to
identify with a magnifying glass and if found the fix is to just
resolder every connection and the item normally works fine for another
decade.

It ain't like the olde vacuum tube sets of the 50s I used to repair back
then. yYu could at least see all the components without a magnifier, and
they had easily read identifying part numbers/values marked on them.

Give it up...

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia