Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan Alan is offline

Default Freesat dish - DIY possible ?

In message , Jethro
wrote
Hi All,

If I wanted to get Freesat, is installing the dish a task for a fairly
competent DIYer. Any hints or tips ? Is alignment a problem ?

I've recently fitted one myself. With no previous experience and with a
bit of background reading and a cheap alignment meter it was no problem.
Alignment took me around 15 minutes.

Freesat comes from the same satellite as Sky so any information about
installing Sky is valid.

I live in the South East and purchased a cheap minidish and LNB from
Ebay (£20 incl postage) but if you live further North you may want a
slightly larger dish. The meter was around £10 incl. postage .

If you want a Freesat PVR in the future install a dual or quad LNB
rather than a single LNB.

Use CT100 or equivalent cable
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/coaxcablequalityhmdim.htm

I used a (satellite) aerial photo of my house with an overlay of the
satellite direction to initially position the dish. Link to map with
overlay (plus how to use a cheap meter):
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/satmeter.htm

Fitting F connectors plus weather proofing with self amalgamating tape
link:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fconn.htm
(Don't cover the cable in grease)

--