Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inverters - again

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" writes:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Most computer PSU's don't care. Actually, many would run
better off a square wave.

On what do you base that ? A computer PSU is designed to run with a sine
wave input. It's like saying that my diesel car runs better if I put petrol
in it ...

Most computer power supplies are designed to cope with sine wave
input, because they have to. The first thing they do is to full
wave rectify it to DC. Sine wave is not a good starting point for
that -- you either end up with power factor well below 1, or you
have to use more complex circuitry to compensate (in larger
commercial computer PSU's). If you feed a square wave in, that's
pretty much as good as DC, and the power factor will be 1. If you
knew you were only going to feed the computer with square wave
(and/or higher frequency) and you didn't have to design the PSU to
run from 50Hz sine wave, you could make the PSU somewhat simpler
and more efficient. Actually, some mainframes used this for
decades, and required to be fed with 400Hz 3-phase, which made
PSU design much easier, and still more efficient even allowing
for a motor-generator set to create the 400Hz supply.

--
Andrew Gabriel