Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Central Air Question

Larry Caldwell wrote:

In article , (CJT)
says...

wrote:

snip

Your old unit is likely to be a SEER of 8 or less.

new unit could be 13, nearly twce as efficent.

energy prices keep going up, might be time for a new unit...

might cut electrc bill by half

Even here in Texas, if the current unit is functioning properly,
it is unlikely that a new unit can be justified on the basis of
electricity savings.

It would be wiser to spend the money on additional insulation, upgraded
windows and doors, insulating drapes or blinds, etc. That would give
substantial savings in heating bills as well as cooling. Depending on
the upgrade, insulation improvements can pay back in less than a decade.
I completed my home energy upgrades 4 years ago, and pay 1/3 as much in
utility bills as I did in 2003, even with intervening rate increases.
The house is also much more comfortable to live in.

Wow! That's really good. We've managed to cut our consumption by
almost half, but you've got us beat. On the other hand, we didn't
spend much money -- mostly just sealing ductwork, replacing
incandescents with CFL's, and installing (and using) a programmable
thermostat.