Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ Andy Champ is offline

Default Inverters - again

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

snip
It mentions in the spec "These inverters generate a modified sine wave,
which although not perfect, is considerably superior to the square waves
which are produced by most other inverters".

Is that a good thing?

Yes, but it's also marketing bull****. I've never seen an
inverter which produces square waves -- they all produce
a modified sine wave. This one basically adds an extended
zero crossing period which is as crude as you can get without
being a square wave. Some more advanced ones have a stepped
sine wave.

All the ones I've ever looked at are made up from a bit of zero volts, a
bigger bit of plus volts, a bit of zero volts, then a bit of minus. If
you draw a graph with a very blunt pencil then take your glasses off and
put someone else on, then turn out the light you *might* think that's a
sine wave.

Nevertheless mine seemed to drive my laptop (which was old enough for me
not to care about killing it) for a week on a canal boat.

Andy