Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Painting new garage and workshop concrete floors

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 04:22:16 -0700 (PDT), "Kickin' Ass and Takin'
Names" wrote:

We are building a new house -- should start moving in at the end of
June.

We built a 26X30 detached garage and a 20X16 shed/workshop, each of
which has a concrete slab floor. We have been using the shed and
garage to store materials, prime and paint shutters, screen doors,
etc. all the while protecting the new concrete slabs with drop cloths
and plastic, so, the slabs are clean, new concrete.

Before we start parking in the garage and moving into the shed/
workshop, we want to paint the concrete slabs using the epoxy garage
floor paints that we see in Home Depot, Lowe's, and elsewhere. On the
'net I found several products -- Muscle Gloss, Epoxy-Coat, and others.

We want to:
-- paint the floors
-- put some kind of non-slip grit in the paint
-- paint a line on the floor at the front of the garage where the
concrete forms a lip to let the garage doors seal; this line will be
safety yellow to warn people not to trip over the concrete lip.

Because this is new concrete, I'm planning to pressure wash it, let it
dry, then apply the epoxy coat per instructions.

Has anyone else done this and what do you recommend??

-- Do I need to etch the new concrete?
-- What product did you use?
-- How is the product you used standing up to wear?
-- How do/did you apply the non-slip granules into the paint?

Thanks.

I don't know any painted garage floor that did not eventually peel, so
I recommend against it. I used a clear epoxy on my concrete basement
and garage in 1993 and it has held up well. The surface is much
easier to sweep and keep clean. It stunk up the house for a couple
days, so it's better to plan for a day when you can have the windows
open for full ventilation. Cover your fish tanks for awhile.