Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rgoldner rgoldner is offline

Default Edge finder/ Center finder question

On Jun 7, 2:42*pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
On an edge finder there are two ends. *The end you use to find the edge is
pretty straight forward, but the pointy end is supposed to be for finding
the center of holes, but for the life of me I cant seem to figure out how
this is supposed to work.

Does any one here know?

--
Roger Shoaf

Adjust the X and Y axis so that the pointed end of the center/edge
finder is approximately in the center of the hole somewhat below the
surface. With the spindle running slowly, move the X axis until you
see the kick. Note the reading on the dial. Now move the X axis slowly
in the opposite direction until you see the kick. Note the dial
reading. Subtract the smaller reading from the larger. Now move the X
axis toward the center of the hole for half of the calculated
distance. The center finder is now exactly at the center of the hole's
X axis. Repeat for the Y axis and you have found the exact center.