Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Cutting straight with a die

On Jun 8, 3:43*am, "William Noble" wrote:

one comment on mills versus drill presses - some mills (mine for example) do
not have a handle for lowering the quill like a drill press does so to drill
things you raise the table - you have no feel for what is happening that
way, so I find I like to have both.

Is it a new machine or an antique?

One of the few things I like on the RF-31 mill drill is its 5" quill
stroke. The 3" stroke on my mill is more typical, and adequate to
drill a hole but when I have to use several different tools at the
same place it's limiting. It helps to buy tools that are all
approximately the same length, such as large 1/2" shank drill bits
that are about as long as a stub-length pilot bit in a chuck. Taps are
a problem. I've seen shop-made tap holders that used 4 setscrews to
clamp the square end.

Jim Wilkins