Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default More Generator Questions

On Jun 7, 3:36*pm, Dottie wrote:
I have a new Troy-bilt generator that holds 5 gallons (according to
web site) or 4.5 gallons (manual). *Anyway, I put in one can (2 1/2
gallons ) and part of another can, same size. *The fuel gauge shows
about 1/4 full. * I am not experienced at filling gas cans and
probably did not get them full when I bought gas because I was afraid
I would overfill the containers and have a mess. *But there still
should be more than 1/4 tank of gas in there. *Anybody else have one
of these things? *How accurate are the gauges usually? *Just looking
"down" into the tank it looks like it's almost full.

Stabil, dream on, if gas gets to the carb and it dries out it gums up
the carb, the day you need it it might not start. Plus gas gets weak
over time noticably at 1 yr, some of the volitile vapors evaporate
directly through plastic. Best is keep it empty and keep gas in a can
and cycle it into the car at 6 mo. Syphon it, run it dry.