Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
Gary Tayman Gary Tayman is offline

Default Valve/tube car radio AM to FM conversion ideas?

"Jim Adney" wrote in message

Just curious, would it be possible for you to duplicate those modules
yourself, or did they require that NLA FM IC?

These modules did indeed use specialized IC's, which were part of their
demise.

AAR had just introduced a new version of the Stereo PCB, which had a digital
tuner. It worked fine on the bench but went crazy in the field, so Dan had
to quickly redesign it. It so happens this "quick redesign" was by far the
best version to date, and sales suddenly went through the roof. However
during this time Dan was going through some family problems, and if that
wasn't enough the IC's used in the FM Modules were discontinued. So
suddenly the FM boards became unavailable.

Dan eventually managed to redesign a new FM board, and this was cool as it
was the size of a postage stamp. But it also had a bug. I was given about
three or four to experiment with; I think one actually made it to the field
and worked (in a Mopar 802) but the others are still here. Dan eventually
decided that, with sales of Stereo PCB's going wild, and with waning
interest in the FM boards, he scrapped the project.

The remaining FM Modules went pretty much to experimenters, some of which
installed them in home radios, and they worked. Someday when I have lotsa
time I'll tinker with the ones I have to see what happens. Installation
isn't hard, except it needs 12 volts DC for power, and the radio must have
an oscillator (meaning I can't put one in my AK-60 -- darn).

--
Gary E. Tayman/Tayman Electrical
Collector Car Audio