Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default belt sander conveyer control

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"William Noble" wrote: aaah, noted, but a DC PM motor will just vibrate,
not rotate, if energized
with AC, hence the presumption of DC

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, Bill. I realized that after I hit "Send." (About 1/2 day after.)
So, if it happens to be a PM motor, what to do? How about running through
the speed controller, then transformer, then rectifier?

that MIGHT work, but it seems that the OP was a bit light on electrical
knowlege so it might be too complex - what I would do if I had that exact
situation is either run Xformer, then SCR/Triac based control followed by a
bridge rectifier, or make a rectifying controller by using 4 SCRs in a
bridge configuraiton with a simple phase shift circuit - since I havea small
pile of little variacs, I'd probably just go with the variac and see if the
thing worked like I wanted. But for the OP, I think the suggestions to find
a motor with the controller are best - there is some guy on ebay selling
small motors with a controller for around $30 - don't remember who or the
exact name of the product, but I do recall thinking it was a good price for
a sewing machine type motor with controller.