Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Veatch Tom Veatch is offline

Default "friction" and high pitched noise from zero clearance insert

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 04:48:41 GMT, blueman wrote:

However, now whenever I run the saw, there is a high pitched sound
coming from the blade ...In addition to being annoying, I am concerned that this friction will
suck power from my saw.

Althought the sound might be annoying, I seriously doubt that you'll
notice any power loss. After all, a "Zero Clearance" insert should
have "zero clearance".

-- So, is such noise (and associated rubbing) normal?

I always make my own ZCIs so I've never used the specific ZCI you
reference. What you report is the same thing I've noted when I put a
new ZCI in service. My experience is that it diminishes and eventually
disappears as the slot wears with use. How much cutting have you done
with the ZCI in place.

-- If not, what can I do about it?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tom Veatch