Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default "friction" and high pitched noise from zero clearance insert

On Jun 8, 12:48*am, blueman wrote:
I recently bought one of the Rockler phenolic resin zero clearance
inserts.
(http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ro%20clearance)

I cut the slot by raising my sawblade through the insert as per the
instructions (and in fact moved it all the wa up and down a couple of times to
make sure it was cut cleanly)

However, now whenever I run the saw, there is a high pitched sound
coming from the blade "rubbing" against the sides of the insert
whenever the blade is at any height above the insert.

In addition to being annoying, I am concerned that this friction will
suck power from my saw.

-- So, is such noise (and associated rubbing) normal?
-- If not, what can I do about it?

(I was thinking about widening the slot on one side by adding a piece
of paper as a spacer to one of the washers but am not sure how to do
widen the other side. Also, not sure whether this would defeat the
purpose of a "zero clearance" insert)

Note my saw is pretty well adjusted with runout of just .001"
(actually, I imagine that the reason I am having this problem is that
the runout is so little since with a larger runout or wobble, the slit
would have been cut wider)

Thanks!

The friction should be minimal and not enough to worry about. The
noise is the same cavitation that sirens are based on. It small air-
pockets (between the teeth) getting chopped up.
Sometimes a squirt of TopKote quiets scuffing sounds down a bit.
I am making the assumption that when you raised the blade for cut#1,
it was adjusted to dead-nuts verticality.
Bringing the blade up on even the slightest angle will give you grief.

As you use it, it will widen up all by itself.