Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Cutting straight with a die

Now here is a very basic question: I need a new drill press. Rather than
buying a bigger and more expensive one, would it make sense to add to the
pot and buy a mill? I.e. will mill do what drill press does as well as the
milling?
Michael Koblic,

Generally yes, with the exceptions that a floor drill press can drill
into the end of a much longer piece, and you can clamp a bench drill
press onto a large beam or plate to drill it. IMHO a drill press might
be equal or slightly better for woodworking, but a vertical knee mill
or mill-drill is excellent for drilling metal. I don't know enough
about new equipment to suggest any of them.

Jim Wilkins

one comment on mills versus drill presses - some mills (mine for example) do
not have a handle for lowering the quill like a drill press does so to drill
things you raise the table - you have no feel for what is happening that
way, so I find I like to have both.