Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling Tiles

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
I usually use a 'standard' metalworking centre punch and a very light
tap with a hammer to break the glaze and provide a non-slip 'start' for
a standard masonry drill. I usually put a small one through the tile
and into the wall first, and then open out the hole in the tile, and
the wall behind if necessary, with a larger standard masonry drill.
I've been doing it like that for 30 odd years, without having to use a
new drill bit every time, and without ever breaking a tile.

I have a tungsten carbide tipped tile cutter and use the point of that to
break the glaze and provide a pilot - I've not had the confidence to use a
centre punch, which does sound a good idea. But I'd bet I'd manage to
break a tile if trying it. ;-)

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.