Posted to alt.home.repair
S. Barker S. Barker is offline

Default Central Air Question

Ruud's are notorious (with it's louvered sheetmetal cover) for clogged
coils. and somewhat of a pain to open up. I opened mine up after several
years (we have a cottonwood) and there was a blanket of fuzz an inch and a
half thick. worked much better with that cleaned off.

wrote in message
Hello,

We have an old Ruud central air conditioning system from
around the early 80's. The few past years we have noticed that the
system is constantly running and taking longer than it should to cool
the house. So thinking that it was low on refrigerant, we had someone
check the system 2 years ago and they said that it had enough
pressure. So this year I took a temp probe that I use to diagnose air
vents in a car and placed it inside one of our vents. It is reading
about 60 degrees. Now I know on a car that 60F degrees is high and it
should be reading between 40F-50F degrees. Does the system appear that
it may be low on refrigerant and should I get someone else to check
the system?

Thanks,
Nick