Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Generator Questions

On Jun 7, 5:27*pm, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:
"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message

. ..

Dottie wrote:
On Jun 7, 5:07 pm, ransley wrote:
On Jun 7, 3:36 pm, Dottie wrote:

I have a new Troy-bilt generator that holds 5 gallons (according to
web site) or 4.5 gallons (manual). *Anyway, I put in one can (2 1/2
gallons ) and part of another can, same size. *The fuel gauge shows
about 1/4 full. * I am not experienced at filling gas cans and
probably did not get them full when I bought gas because I was afraid
I would overfill the containers and have a mess. *But there still
should be more than 1/4 tank of gas in there. *Anybody else have one
of these things? *How accurate are the gauges usually? *Just looking
"down" into the tank it looks like it's almost full.
Maybe a bad gauge, look inside the tank. But if you are not going to
use it why are you filling it, gas goes bad, and I hope you have a
fuel shutoff valve and run it dry.

I have STABIL .... which everyone assures me will keep the gas good
for a year. *I was going to fill the tank now because I know the price
of gas is going up. *I have a new siphon so I can move it to the lawn
mower if we get lucky and don't have a power outage. *I probably
didn't get as much gas in there as I thought ... one of my neighbors
has experience with using generators so when he gets home maybe he can
figure out what is going on. *Thanks though.

Obviously bad gas gauge.

I keep my generator full, use Stabil and after 2 years, use gas in lawn
mowers. *Oxidation is what causes gas to go bad so you are better off not
to have much air in the tank. *Besides when power goes out, weather is
usually bad and you don't want to deal with potentially spilling gas.

Also every 2-3 months I crank up generator and run for a few minutes.

Maybe a dumb question, but if gas with Stabil starts to reach the 2-year
point and the generator is almost full of gas, how do you get rid of it?- Hide quoted text -

Siphon it out and use in a lawnmower.