Posted to alt.home.repair
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Dimitrios Paskoudniakis is offline

Default More Generator Questions

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
Dottie wrote:
On Jun 7, 5:07 pm, ransley wrote:
On Jun 7, 3:36 pm, Dottie wrote:

I have a new Troy-bilt generator that holds 5 gallons (according to
web site) or 4.5 gallons (manual). Anyway, I put in one can (2 1/2
gallons ) and part of another can, same size. The fuel gauge shows
about 1/4 full. I am not experienced at filling gas cans and
probably did not get them full when I bought gas because I was afraid
I would overfill the containers and have a mess. But there still
should be more than 1/4 tank of gas in there. Anybody else have one
of these things? How accurate are the gauges usually? Just looking
"down" into the tank it looks like it's almost full.
Maybe a bad gauge, look inside the tank. But if you are not going to
use it why are you filling it, gas goes bad, and I hope you have a
fuel shutoff valve and run it dry.

I have STABIL .... which everyone assures me will keep the gas good
for a year. I was going to fill the tank now because I know the price
of gas is going up. I have a new siphon so I can move it to the lawn
mower if we get lucky and don't have a power outage. I probably
didn't get as much gas in there as I thought ... one of my neighbors
has experience with using generators so when he gets home maybe he can
figure out what is going on. Thanks though.

Obviously bad gas gauge.

I keep my generator full, use Stabil and after 2 years, use gas in lawn
mowers. Oxidation is what causes gas to go bad so you are better off not
to have much air in the tank. Besides when power goes out, weather is
usually bad and you don't want to deal with potentially spilling gas.

Also every 2-3 months I crank up generator and run for a few minutes.

Maybe a dumb question, but if gas with Stabil starts to reach the 2-year
point and the generator is almost full of gas, how do you get rid of it?