Posted to alt.home.repair
dicko dicko is offline

Default Changing Blades on John Deer Riding Lawnmower

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 20:15:56 GMT, M Q
wrote:

Slopshot wrote:

I am having problems getting the blades off of my John Deer Model
GT235 (three blades). Is there some special instructions that I need
to know. Are the bolts right-threaded or left-threaded? Is there a
special lock I need to engage to put on the blades? Thanks

I have a 2 blade (42") John Deere. The bolts were standard right hand
threads. The only problems I ran into were that I needed something a
bit longer than the standard ratchet handle and the bolt heads were 18mm,
which is not found in all wrench sets. I just grabbed the blade with
my (gloved) other hand and pulled.

On my 3 blade deck, its an 18mm socket and I use a big long handled
3/4" drive breaker bar. (I guess that agrees with whats already been
said) Thats the only way I can loosen those things. I use a
stragically wedged 2x4, between the blades and the deck wall, to keep
the blades from spinning whiile I apply torque to the screws.

The middle blade is a bitch to get loose. Also, I jack up the deck a
few inches to allow me to reach under there.

I had the blades changed once by the J.D. dealer and I had to put a 5
ft "torque amplifier" on the breaker bar to get those blades off the
first time I had to sharpen them. Never again will I go to that
dealer.

-dickm