Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default finishing basement floor question

On Jun 7, 12:16�pm, KLS wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 07:07:24 -0400, ke4fxc_at_knology_dot_net wrote:
Hello, There was a DIY show I had seen some time back maybe 1-11/2years
back someone wanted to expand there deck with a hot tub but they set it
a pad to the side of a concrete patio that was off of a raise deck. They
used a modular system of short blocks that supported a square of deck
panel a few inches off of the concrete. the square blocks set at the
intersection of the four deck panels all held to gather with clips and
screws "I THINK" so if a panel was damage it could be replaced.
It gave a nice finish to a drab concrete patio. To finish the wood deck
look they has.
So if the tile or what ever you used as a floor could span the distance
�between the blocks and be supported only by the corners for the load
then you could have the air space needed under the the surface over the
concrete with the proper vapor shield.
�Also do not let any wood touch concrete, use some sort of water proof
membrane even if the wood is treated. Because it could act as a wick.
Some people say it doesn't matter but what the harm in adding a little
insurance to keep from having problems down the road.

You're thinking of Dek-Block piers, which we used with very good
results outside. �Home Depot and Lowe's sell these. �It's an
interesting idea for a basement application and seems the cheapest way
to achieve what the OP wants to do.- Hide quoted text -

another downside, many basements are short on headroom, so anything
that decreases it futher is a downer........

a good underslab or french drain is better.........