Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Changing Blades on John Deer Riding Lawnmower

Slopshot wrote:
I am having problems getting the blades off of my John Deer Model
GT235 (three blades). Is there some special instructions that I need
to know. Are the bolts right-threaded or left-threaded? Is there a
special lock I need to engage to put on the blades? Thanks

That would, of course, be missing an "e" on Deere...

What kind of problems?

They're righty-tighty bolts--nothing fancy. What are you using to try
to remove them?

Only problem I've ever had (and it was on much larger mower) was once
hit a large enough obstruction that it stretched the bolt significantly.
Took the 3/4" breaker bar w/ a 3-ft cheater to get that puppy out.

Unless have done something similar, a 1/2" breaker bar should be ample
w/ a block to wedge the blade to keep it in place (although on the the
above case I had to use a hard bar in the pulley on the top side of the
deck--the first light bar I used simply bent ).