Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Edge finder/ Center finder question

On Jun 7, 2:42*pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
On an edge finder there are two ends. *The end you use to find the edge is
pretty straight forward, but the pointy end is supposed to be for finding
the center of holes, but for the life of me I cant seem to figure out how
this is supposed to work.

Does any one here know?

--
Roger Shoaf

Clamp it in the chuck and run the point down into the hole, lightly. I
think you're supposed to mike across the sliding joint and adjust
until it reads whatever the shank diameter is, but I just slide my
fingernail over the step and move the table until I can't feel it on
any side.

Once you've located the edges you can put the pointed end down to
confirm that your 0,0 position really is the corner of the work, you
didn't locate on a chip.

A burr or countersink can easily throw off the center finder. I just
had to adjust some holes positions by 0.015" because the burr on a
hole apparently shifted the countersink and I misplaced the vise stop
on the next setup.

Jim Wilkins