Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inverters - again

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Getting to the point where an inverter starts to make more & more sense.
Phone charger, drill chargers, light bar charger etc.

Looking at these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLINV300.html

I've got a 150W one of those (not from tlc). It runs a Potteron
Profile boiler and pump. Pump makes a bit of a strange noise due
to the harmonics, but it works fine.

The cigarette lighter plug gets very hot though. I've bought a
few high current connectors with a view of replacing it, but
they've all looked even more feeble than a cigarette lighter plug
when they've turned up, so I haven't really solved that one yet.
May just go for 30A binding posts and spade lugs.

You might want to check out a Maplin store. They did have loads
of inverters (including this range) going cheap (I suspect
cheaper than that TLC price).

It mentions in the spec "These inverters generate a modified sine wave,
which although not perfect, is considerably superior to the square waves
which are produced by most other inverters".

Is that a good thing?

Yes, but it's also marketing bull****. I've never seen an
inverter which produces square waves -- they all produce
a modified sine wave. This one basically adds an extended
zero crossing period which is as crude as you can get without
being a square wave. Some more advanced ones have a stepped
sine wave.

It also mentions Peak power - 1000w Does that mean it would run an 800w
angle grinder for long enough to cut off a padlock or wheel clamp?

No.

--
Andrew Gabriel