John Laird

Default Bowing house wall - tie rods?

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 22:20:32 +0100, Grunff wrote:

John Laird wrote:

I think you ought to get a structural engineer to take a look (was anyone
other than a surveyor involved when you bought the place). You could start
off the whole process with a call to your insurers, but be warned that after
a claim you may be unable to ever change companies.

Hmm..maybe. No, we didn't have a structural survey done (we were
fully aware of the problem).

Did you buy this house without a mortgage, out of interest ? I can't
imagine any lender approving a loan without further investigation (nor the
valuer missing a large bulge). Fwiw, the bulge in the outer wall of my
house was of the order of an inch, over about 10' in height. I was informed
that renewing the wall ties was a practical solution up to an inch or so.
Beyond that, it was rebuilding time. Not in itself a huge job as the outer
leaf is non-structural, but as it was above a large conservatory, not
trivial either.

--
Mail john rather than nospam...